Instructor: Tom Brussel

A bit about me:  Presently, I am a research scientist with the University of Oregon, studying how Siberia, a place much like Alaska, will be impacted by climate change and fire. In my previous research, I studied how climate change impacted plants over the past 15,000 years. I'm really looking forward to teaching this course and sharing my knowledge and experience with you. 

Alaska on Fire

[This virtual course has had its dates moved from the original June 7-11 timing to the date and times now listed]

Grades: 6-8

Dates: August 2-6

Zoom Times: Mon-Fri, 2pm

Cost: *FREE*    

Description: Did you know that Alaska’s forests are on fire more often than not over the past several thousand years? If fire and plants get you excited, come learn all about the Alaskan plants and how they interact with fire! You'll explore by completing online and hands on activities to learn how and why fire happens in such a cold place!

Course Kit Content: printouts and activity guides, construction paper, graph paper, playdough, colored pencils or markers

Supplies You Will Provide: Students will need a smartphone or help from a parent with a smartphone loaded with the Seek by iNaturalist app (and a free account).