Instructor: Naomi Hutchens (Hutchquist)

A bit about me: Have you ever wondered how CG and VFX artists are able to make stunning visuals using a computer? Are you curious about how to turn your drawings into animated videos? Me too! My name is Naomi Hutchens (soon to be Hutchquist) and I am a lifelong Alaskan with a passion for combining arts and sciences. I let this curiosity lead me through UAF to a Bachelor of Fine Art degree with concentrations in Digital Art and Printmaking. I have been a Visual Art Academy instructor for three years and this is my second semester as a 365 SMART instructor. I am looking forward to making some digital magic with you this spring!

You can email me with any questions about the course or digital art in general at nrhutchens2@alaska.edu.

Animation & Digital Art

Grades: 9-12

Dates: July 19-Aug 9

Zoom Times:  Mondays 1pm

Cost: $195

Description: Have you ever wondered how CG and VFX artists are able to make stunning visuals using a computer? Are you ready to push your drawing skills to create digital paintings or animated videos? This course will focus on three main aspects of creating digital magic: Pixel Painting, Photo Manipulation, and Animated Images. We will use free programs for your mobile device and desktop computer, as well as hand drawings or stop motion animations using paper and clay. Students will share their works in progress with the class during weekly Zoom meetings and will have an opportunity to ask questions and gain feedback.

Course Kit Content: non-drying clay, flipbook, storyboard templates 

Supplies You Will Provide: If using a mobile device: Snapseed, Pixelable, FlipaClip, and InShot (all free programs);  If using a computer: GIMP and Pencil 2D (both free programs)