Instructor: Geneva Mottet

A bit about me: I grew up in Southeast Alaska and the San Juan Islands in Washington state where I gained a love for the natural world through hiking and fishing. I finished my MS in Physics last year at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I currently live on a homestead near Fairbanks and enjoy sharing my interest in science and the natural world through public outreach and a YouTube channel.

You can email me with any questions about the course at gjmottet@alaska.edu.

Cabbage Chemistry

Grades: 2-4

Dates: July 15-August 5

Zoom Times: Thursdays, 1 pm

Cost: $195 

Description: Learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about what is in a cabbage. Then use cabbage juice to test acids and bases and make your own film canister combustion! Next, buckle in to learn about acids and bases - we’ll do some tummy ache science to test which antacid tablets are most effective at neutralizing acid. The class is offered with weekly hands on experiments and Zoom calls where kids can share their learning with the instructor and each other, with study questions, YouTube videos, and other supplementary material offered through Google Classroom.

Course Kit Content: beaker, plastic syringe, plastic pipette, stir stick, 25/50 ml cylinder, disposable gloves, masking tape, Sharpie, small jars, pH paper, film canisters, citric acid powder, antacid tablets, lemon juice, small purple cabbage 

Supplies You Will Provide: toilet paper, baking soda, vinegar