Instructor: Geneva Mottet

A bit about me: I grew up in Southeast Alaska and the San Juan Islands in Washington state where I gained a love for the natural world through hiking and fishing. I finished my MS in Physics last year at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I currently live on a homestead near Fairbanks and enjoy sharing my interest in science and the natural world through public outreach and a YouTube channel.

You can email me with any questions about the course at gjmottet@alaska.edu.

Fun in the Sun with Physics

[Unfortunately we've had to close this course for session 1 (June) for summer 2021. However, session 2 in July for grades 3-7 is available.]

Grades: 3-5
  Dates: June 2-23
  Zoom Times: [G1] Wednesdays, 12pm

Grades: 3-7
  Dates: July 14-August 4
  Zoom Times: Wednesdays, 12pm

Grades: 6-12
  Dates: June 2-23
  Zoom Times: [G2] Wednesdays, 1pm

Cost: $195

Description: Have you ever wondered how the sun can keep us warm here on Earth? Well this class will show you! Build a model of the sun and see how the light spreads out. See the sun for yourself with eclipse glasses, a projector, and videos of the instructors telescope.

Have a cookie cook off using only the power of the sun! The class is offered with weekly hands on experiments and Zoom calls where kids can share their learning with the instructor and each other, with study questions, YouTube videos, and other supplementary material offered through google classroom.

Course Kit Content: Solar viewing glasses, Fresnel lens, Thermometer, Sun catcher, Cookie mix, Pizza box, Flashlight, Diffraction glasses, and lots more supplies for conducting the activities

Supplies You Will Provide: