Instructor: Geneva Mottet

A bit about me: I grew up in Southeast Alaska and the San Juan Islands in Washington state where I gained a love for the natural world through hiking and fishing. I finished my MS in Physics last year at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I currently live on a homestead near Fairbanks and enjoy sharing my interest in science and the natural world through public outreach and a YouTube channel.

You can email me with any questions about the course at gjmottet@alaska.edu.

Growing Mountains

Grades: 6-12

Dates: July 15-August 5

Zoom Times: Thursdays, 3pm

Cost: $195

Description: What type of rocks make up mountain ranges? This class is a deep dive into granite with rock samples. Learn how silicate rocks form with molten chocolate and how the crystal structures of these rocks differ. Grow Epsom salt crystals and learn the difference between glass and crystals by measuring the density of glass and comparing it to your own quartz crystal that you get to keep. The class is offered with weekly hands on experiments and Zoom calls where kids can share their learning with the instructor and each other, with study questions, quizzes, YouTube videos, and other supplementary material offered through Google Classroom.

Course Kit Content: granite, orthoclase feldspar, microcline feldspar crystal, mica, obsidian, quartz, jasper, magnifying glass, plastic organizer, Epsom salt, jar, string, popsicle sticks, glass, labels, toothpicks, index cards, baking cups, mini colorful marshmallows 

Supplies You Will Provide: bag of white chocolate chips, bag of milk chocolate chips, basic writing utensils